Some progress

I have finished basing two regiments of CSA and a battery of guns, which rounds out my 3rd Division for the South at 5 regiments, which is the standard I have used throughout. I still need to do the flags, but that’s a job for another weekend.

The figures were purchased from Hinds Figures in the UK, then I simply give them a coat with Army Painter Anti-Shine Matt Varnish (make sure to shake well) then rebase them to match my existing collection.

The “lead pile”

When it comes to wargaming projects I am not sure if one ever reaches a stage of 100% completion, rather I think we get to a point (or hope that we do) that the armies are functional, and we have enough variance to stage an enjoyable game and vary the scenario if narrative play takes our fancy.

Or, more likely, our never shrinking “lead pile” grows with an ever increasing list of projects, a shiny distraction that ensures that we never seem to reach that stage where we are content to rest, and put a project or period to bed.

Throughout the years I’ve devoted to this hobby, with the exception of the very early Airfix and ESCI plastic Napoleonic’s I am yet to rationalise a period or purchase. Which is a way of saying that I have a huge lead pile, and lots of half forgotten projects that are boxed and buried in storage. Thinking on this of course got me mind set on another course…

…for me, is it in the collecting and the having, is it the acquisition and dream of “one day”, or is it in the actual playing? (I do wonder if I am holding on to projects for some future imagined day, meanwhile using feeble excuses to procrastinate)

So maybe what I need to do is have a “Clayton’s rationalisation” *, not so much a spring clean of projects on the go, but a narrowing of focus to such that I get one (or two) to a stage where I am prepared to let it rest on its own and take battle on the table. So with that in mind:

  1. ACW – 15mm
    1. finish basing the CSA (this rounds out 3 Divisions for the South)
    2. do flags for all regiments,
    3. base limbers and some generic wagons,
    4. finish 3D modelling and printing terrain buildings and scenic features: fences.
  2. Napoleonic – 15mm
    1. magnet the bases (for storage and transportation)
    2. take stock of the Prussians and contemplate expanding beyond the Peninsular. (will need Dutch-Belgians)
  3. Saga – 28mm (Vikings, Saxons, Normans)
    1. take stock, sort, and rebase,
    2. some of the older figures may require a paint touch up and wash or dip to given uniformity to paint style,
    3. add shield decals
    4. movement/unit trays for Saga or Ravenfeast (from Little Wars TV)

I do have some other projects I could add to the list, but as a rationalisation these three should see me through the year, and to be honest, if I get them done by December I will be both very surprised and quite chuffed that I have overcome my usual glacial progress.

* Clayton’s was a mixer in Australia that advertised itself as “the drink you have when you aren’t having a drink”, I could never really see the point of it, and have no idea of such a hideous idea existed in other countries as well.

I got followers

Firstly, welcome Samantha of Historical Diaries. I’m not sure how you found my blog after only 2 posts, and only 1 of them being anything vaguely “real”, but welcome none the less.

I wrote the above on the 29th January 2020, and never posted it, nor did I really post anything after it, so I should not have been surprised that it took until September 2020 (Thomo) to get my second follower and then March 2021 (Yeti) to get my third.

So welcome all three, I will apologise in advance as topics will likely meander across a wide gamut, but I promise to try and keep the focus on wargaming and history even while acknowledging I am already deviating into the region of cheeseburgers.